How long the Social Security Administration (SSA) takes to review an application depends on the details of each case. Since the unique factors of your claim determine the processing period, we cannot offer a promised timeline for resolution.
As experiencedSocial Security Disability application attorneys, we understand that waiting for a decision from the SSA can be frustrating and stressful. Our legal team has over 50 years of combined legal experience advocating for the rights of individuals with disabling medical conditions. Call us today to discuss your case.
Factors That Impact the Social Security Disability Application Processing Time
While the SSA claims that, in some cases, it can take months to reach a decision aboutdisability benefits, keep in mind it can also take years.
The exact waiting period is influenced by severalfactors, including how easily the SSA can access your medical documents and other supporting evidence. Additionally, the volume of applications received by the SSA and the workload of the adjudicative teams can also influence processing times.
The Nature of Your Medical Condition
The complexity and severity of your disability can significantly impact the time it takes to receive a decision on your initial application. Disabilities that involve multiple medical conditions or require extensive medical documentation may take longer to evaluate than more straightforward cases.
How Quickly the SSA Can Access Your Medical Evidence
The SSA relies on medicalevidenceto assess the extent of your disability and its impact on your ability to work. The speed at which your healthcare providers and medical sources submit relevant documentation can influence the processing time. Delays in obtaining these records may lead to longer wait times for an initial decision.
Whether the SSA Requires a Medical Examination
In some cases, the SSA may require additional medical examinations to evaluate your disability further. If this is necessary, the time it takes to schedule and conduct the examination can extend the processing period. Additionally, the SSA needs time to review the examination results before deciding.
Whether the SSA Reviews Your Disability Application for Quality
The SSA may conduct random or targeted quality reviews to ensure accuracy and consistency in their decision-making process. If your application is selected for such a review, receiving a decision may take additional time as it undergoes a more thorough evaluation.
For a free legal consultation, call 864-235-0234
How To Speed Up the SSD Application Processing Time
While you can take steps to try and speed up the process, it is important to realize that there are no guarantees.
To help speed up the application processing time, take the following steps:
- Submit a complete and accurate application: Ensure all required forms are filled out correctly, providing detailed information about your disability, medical conditions, and work history. This reduces the likelihood of delays due to missing or incorrect information.
- Include thorough medical evidence: Gather all relevant medical records, test results, and doctor’s statements supporting your disability claim. The more comprehensive and up-to-date your medical evidence, the faster the SSA can assess your eligibility.
- Obtain supporting statements: Ask yourtreating physiciansand healthcare providers to provide detailed statements about your disability’s impact on your ability to work and perform daily activities. These statements can carry significant weight in the decision-making process.
- Comply with SSA requests promptly:If the SSA requests additional information or documents, respond as quickly as possible. Timely cooperation can prevent unnecessary delays.
- Consider electronic submission: Submit your application and supporting documents through the SSA’s website. Electronic submissions can expedite processing compared to traditional paper applications.
- Seek assistance from a disability attorney:Consulting with an experienced Social Security Disability attorney can ensure your application is thorough and well-prepared. They can also help navigate the process, potentially speeding up the overall timeline.
Navigating the disability application process can be overwhelming, but you don’t have to do it alone. Let our skilledSocial Security Disability lawyersfight to secure the benefits you rightfully deserve in a timely manner.
What Is the Waiting Period To Receive Benefits?
Once you get a favorable decision from the SSA regarding your disability claim, you still have to wait until you start receiving benefits. There is afive-month waiting periodfor most cases. However, if you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)and were approved for benefits on July 23, 2020, or later, there is no waiting period.
For example, suppose your disabling medical condition (other than ALS) started on August 25, but you applied for benefits on September 1. In that case, your first payment will be for the sixth full month of disability, which would be February next year.
It is also important to note that the SSA pays disability benefits in the next month after they are owed. For example, the benefits for June will be paid in July.
Call Our Social Security Disability Application Lawyers for Further Guidance
While the SSA strives to process disability applications as efficiently as possible, certain variables can cause variations in processing times. As experienced Social Security Disability lawyers, we understand how the SSA operates and can help you navigate the application process.
If you are considering applying for Social Security Disability benefits or have encountered challenges with an ongoing application, don’t hesitate to contact Pilzer Klein for a consultation. With our guidance and expertise, you can increase your chances of a successful outcome and potentially expedite the processing time.Contactus today to learn more.